Monday, March 17, 2008

saturday - 4 miles

It is done. I have officially crossed the 4 mile mark. Hooray! It didn't feel quite as triumphant as the 3 mile mark. Wasn't quite as energizing either, as was evidenced by the nap I took on the playroom floor at about 2pm. :-)

I'm anxious to get outside to run, in part because the treadmill is getting a little monotonous, and also in part because I'm curious about my actual pace. Back when we were running outside this fall, I was doing about an 11 minute mile. Nothing fast, but that's not really what I'm going for here. According to my ipod (with the Nike+ tracker) I'm still running about the same pace as I was when we were outside, but the treadmill says I am running 14.5 minute miles! That sounds pretty darn slow to me. I'm looking forward to getting outside where I can run a course that I've tracked on the Gmap Pedometer at the same heart rate that I've been running at, and see what the equates to as far as pace. If I'm unlucky, I've actually been running slower. If I'm lucky, the treadmill is off and I've been running further than I thought, which would be so nice. I guess if I'm REALLY unlucky, the treadmill is off and I've been running much slower and much shorter distances. Sigh. Trying not to get my hopes up!

So yes, in order to run what the treadmill told me was 4 miles, I had to run for an HOUR. Plus warm up and cool down. That's a long time to stare at a brick wall. When I was leaving, one of the older men who was working out commented that I'd been on there a long time, and I definitely agreed with him. If you had told me this fall that I'd be spending an hour on the treadmill by choice, I'd have laughed in your face.

4 comments:

Normal Mom said...

WAY TO GO!!!!! I couldn't do what you've done. You are great!

Sara said...

WOW, congratulations! 4 miles is a lot...

maikib said...

oh you big stinker. not only have you been hiding THIS from me, you've been hiding a blog! :) congrats on mile 4! (I can't run a block, so I am utterly and thoroughly impressed... esp. because you are doing this in the middle of winter. always the superwoman!!). :)

marian said...

I haven't been hiding it, I just didn't get around to mentioning it! It's hard to get a word in edgewise - "oh, I'm engaged, oh, I'm planning my wedding, oh, I'm moving to the UK..." You know how you are, going on and on.... JUST KIDDING!!!! It must not have been on my mind when we talked. Please, read away...