Tuesday, January 15, 2008

back in the saddle again

I hit the treadmill today after a week away. As you know, I skipped my run on Thursday (1/10) because I didn't feel like getting my butt out of bed. I then skipped my Saturday run, because I was hosting a party for 60 people at my house that evening, didn't get to bed until 1am on Friday night, and decided that I needed the energy for party prep. It was a great party by the way, surprise for my dad's 60th. Anyway, Monday night was supposed to be pilates, but visiting family members invited us for a family dinner (which was lovely) and so... here we are. Amazing how life can really get in the way!

I had some serious "what the heck am I doing, I'm never going to be able to run more than 2 miles" thoughts today. I had a hard time getting my legs going at the beginning of the run, I felt very bumbling and weighted down. But I hit a good stride in the middle and discovered the perfect song for my current running pace ("All My Life" by Foo Fighters) which is an excellent find. That will help me find my pace when not running on a treadmill, provided I'm still using this pace in 4 months!

It's time for me to start re-reading my training book chapters on weight training. I've been avoiding it, because I think working that into my schedule is going to involve getting up even earlier, one of my least favorite things. But it's going to be important for building up my endurance, something that is severely lacking at the moment.

I was reading an article in marie claire last night, and in it, Jill Baek (founder of Rescue Beauty Lounge) said "Before I hit 32 five years ago, I was one of those women who could eat whatever she wanted. But now I have to practice portion control..." I'm amazed at how much my body has changed in the last 18 months or so. I certainly wasn't an "eat whatever you want and be rail thin" kind of girl, but I was a "pay no attention to what you eat and be a decent weight" person. And throw in a little exercise? Heck, I was set. Now, suddenly, I have this poojie belly that makes me look 4 months pregnant, and I just feel thick. I was blaming it on many things, but honestly, it's being 31. Sigh. Welcome to my new reality, right? So along with the weight training, it's time to modify my diet. No more party leftovers for me... mmmm but that cheese is soooooo gooooooood....

2 comments:

Chris said...

So I guess it doesn't help that you have me hanging around, ready at any moment, for a cheese and crackers break....i can be good to as I am also "training" for this little wee run, I guess I should step it up. Officially Feb 10th right?

marian said...

noooo, don't be good! I like having someone around to be naughty with me, even if you are skinny and young and all that... :-) We'll be good tonight, sushi isn't too naughty, right?

And yes, I think it is Feb 10, but my computer calendar is freaking out right now, so I can't confirm.