Monday, December 17, 2007

My mother's daughter

It seems that Friday's yucky feeling was the preamble to a weekend spent on the couch, tissue box in hand. So I'm taking it easy today, no cross training. Back to running tomorrow.

I was at a Christmas party on Friday night that my father was also at (my parents live in the next town over from us). He was telling EVERYONE that I'm running a half marathon, which I found both sweet (he's so proud!) and annoying (what if I chicken out? The whole town will know...) In order for this story to mean anything from this point, you have to know my dad - he's an uber-athlete. He is a mountain biker, telemark skier and runner, and he does them to the extreme. He was in a 50 mile bike race this fall, and he came in second for his age group - he turns 60 in three weeks. Anyway, he can kick my butt any day of the week blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back. I very specifically didn't tell him about running the half marathon until after I knew registration was closed, so he wouldn't be tempted to run it with me in about half the time. He's in the best shape of his life.

So back to Friday night - I got into a conversation with a woman who bikes with my dad, who was saying she wants to run the 50 mile race this fall (the same race my dad biked) and was trying to convince me TO JOIN HER. Um, NO. She couldn't understand why I didn't want to do it. And I quote, "Oh come on, if you can run a half marathon, you can totally run the 50!" To which I replied, "I don't even know that I can run a half marathon!" I finally realized that she thought I was my father's daughter, and I had to explain to her that I was not. I'm my mother's daughter- her hobbies are crossword puzzles, knitting, and watching the Red Sox. That's much more my style! But I'm glad my dad is so excited for me, helps me to be just a liiiiiiiiitle bit more excited about this experience.

3 comments:

Normal Mom said...

Isn't interesting how we tend to be more like one parent than another. Although I don't think I'll be taking up motorcycles AT ALL EVER! There are times I wish I was more like my mom.
But on another point, it doesn't matter how old you are, when you know your parents are proud of you, it's a great boost and encouragement.
Party On!

Sara said...

He he he! Sam is still "broken" from snowboarding with your dad - he'll never try it again...

marian said...

Thanks normal mom, I plan on it! (partying on that is) And you never know, you might just think that motorcycle looks enticing after you hit 55 - after all that's what happened with Safety Steve! Maybe you'll take up hang-gliding or something!

chloe, glad that you have a personal frame of reference for my dad, the uber-athlete!