Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A bit of a break

Hello there everyone, sorry, I've been a bit out of the blogging groove these last couple of weeks.

So yes, I was sick. I missed 3-mile training runs on 4/8, 4/10, and 4/17. I got in a 4-mile run on Saturday the 12th and a 3-mile on the 15th, but all said not exactly a stellar training period. Colds suck. 'nuff said.

Then, this past Saturday - 8 miles! It was an awesome run actually. We ran part of the actual race course - from Billings Farm in Woodstock to the Quechee polo fields, just past The Inn At Marshland Farm (where my hubby and I got married, actually). We left a car at each end, stuffed a bag with water and goo shots and dropped it by the side of the road, and we were off! Three of us ran, two (pregnant ladies) walked it. Aside from the water stop in the middle, we ran the whole way. It felt quite good actually.

Then yesterday I had the worst run I've had in MONTHS. I couldn't figure it out, it was only a 3 mile run, which we decided to do on the trails in the nature preserve behind my house. This is where we did all our running last summer, and so it should have felt familiar. However, I couldn't seem to get into it at all - it was totally a mental block, I wasn't too tired, but my body just wouldn't run for me. But after the run, I realized that all this time training on treadmills and the road has allowed me to develop a relatively consistent pace, and it is very difficult to maintain that when trail running - so many twisty little paths, ups and downs, rocks and roots, etc. So I'll be heading back to the road tomorrow, in hopes that it is indeed the solution. I hope I'm not permanently broken!

9 miles to come on Saturday. I finished Harry Potter #7 on the run last Saturday, and while I was tempted to just listen to it again (I love that book...) I thought something fresh might do me good. So I'm listening to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis, which I'm enjoying so far. I haven't read the books in decades, so it is like reading (listening) to them again for the first time.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I hadn't heard that about the trails, it's so funny how bodies and minds adjust. The adjustment to the treadmill was hard enough, and now coming off of it.

Anyway, great update.